Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Adjunct professor at NTNU


EPFL allows its faculty members to dispose of 20% of their time for carrying out any free activities they believe is interesting for them. I recently found a way to make a good use of this possibility! As of March 2008, I have been appointed as an adjunct professor at the Center of Excellence for Quantifiable Quality of Service in Communication Systems (Q2S) of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), in Trondheim, Norway.
This opportunity came out of previous discussions with my good friend Andrew Perkis, who is a full professor at NTNU and very involved in Q2S. Andrew and I have been knowing each other since almost 15 years now, and have been working together in a number of exciting projets in the past. I am happy that this opportunity will allow us to continue with an even stronger collaboration from now on.
Information about NTNU can be found at the following url:
http://www.ntnu.no
There is also a lot of information about Q2S at the following link:
http://www.q2s.ntnu.no
I went to Norway for my first visit of Q2S, from March 2-5. The timing was very fortunate because it not only coincided with the visit of Andrew to Trondheim (he is on leave in Singapore for a while), but also I was lucky to meet two other colleagues and friends: Fernando Pereira, professor at IST in Portugal, and BĂ©atrice Pesquet-Popescu, professor at ENST in Paris, who also were there as members of Jury of the PhD thesis of Stian Johansen. Stian defended his thesis with success. Congratulations to him!
Above all, this visit was an opportunity for me to get to know PhD students, Post-docs and Researchers at Q2S in a first contact, and to have a face to face discussion with some of them, and to plan some concrete activities. I am sure in the near future you will see some other articles in this blog about Q2S and NTNU.
I took a few pictures while in Trondheim. Have a look:
http://picasaweb.google.com/Touradj.Ebrahimi/Q2S

No comments: